POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : cubic interpolation for image_maps (2 jpegs - 63kb) : Re: cubic interpolation for image_maps (2 jpegs - 63kb) Server Time
2 Aug 2024 20:15:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: cubic interpolation for image_maps (2 jpegs - 63kb)
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 7 Mar 2007 12:38:47
Message: <45eef8a7$1@news.povray.org>
Vincent Le Chevalier wrote:
> Funny, I did something similar a while ago, when I was trying to mimic
> Terragen's rendering of height fields. Although obviously, our methods
> differ. I was calling mine cubic interpolation back then but I'm not so
> sure now... I'll have to re-check the source file to find out exactly
> what it is doing ;-)
>
> Anyway, here are the results I got. I'm not uploading the source because
> it is not really readable as is, but if someone is interested I can
> clean it up...
>
> Regards

An easy-to-use macro of your technique would be useful, if it
renders/parses quickly. It is an improvement over linear interpolation,
that much is evident.

I was hoping that Tek's blended cells technique would work well for
height_fields, but as it turns out, those extra "Steps" don't look so
good... maybe if other things were done to the pigment it would be good.
Oh well :) I figured I should post it anyway.

~Sam